A metaphor is a figure of speech which is a analogy between two unlike things that have something in common. Unlike a simile, a metaphor does notuse "like" or "as" in comparison. Most of the time it uses the linking verbs "is" or "was". In Greek, "metaphor" literally means "to transfer" or "to carry across," which means metaphors "carry across" or "transfer" the meaning of word to another. 
Examples in Of Mice and Men
- "Give the stable buck hell..."
- "The curls, tiny little sausages, were spread on the hay behind her hair"
The game Solitare they play is also a huge metaphor.
- Solitare takes a long time to play and takes effort, like dreams.
- The goal of Solitare is the same for everyone.
- You play it by yourself, and you travel by yourself when you work.
- In Solitare you're up against yourself and chance, just like in the real world.
Other examples of metaphors
- Your eyes are crystals.
- The dark is sinister and evil.
- The backyard is a forest.
- The paint was mud.
- The stars are holes in the sky.
- Life is a possesion.
- Time is a theif.
- Your heart is was stone.
- Shark teeth are daggers.
- Life is a rollercoaster, with twists and turns around every corner.